Keep your home or business running smoothly with our services and tips and tricks for all your HVAC and Plumbing needs. Subscribe to our blog and stay in the loop on HVAC maintenance and home comfort advice.Subscribe Today for the Latest Tips
There’s a lot to do before any holiday, but Thanksgiving can be especially busy and stressful. Meal planning, housecleaning, and decorating all come to mind. Yet, it’s easy to overlook one very important holiday checklist item—your plumbing. Two of the busiest days of the year for plumbers are the day after Thanksgiving, followed by the day after Christmas. Plumbing emergencies tend to arise after a big holiday meal and when there’s a house full of guests.
Cool Blew wants to save you from potential plumbing disasters this Thanksgiving. To avoid having to deal with an unexpected holiday hassle, here are some tips to help you prepare and protect your plumbing for the holiday season.
- Ensure bathrooms have a plunger and extra toilet paper before any guests arrive. Also, have a garbage can in every bathroom. This will help ensure that guests won’t be tempted to flush items that shouldn’t be placed in the toilet such as cotton balls, wipes, sanitary items, and paper towels.
- A toilet that’s constantly running or doesn’t flush properly is a toilet that will not make it through the holidays. Your toilet works extra hard during the holidays and a broken toilet will be a major source of stress. Schedule your local plumber in advance.
- Don’t place turkey skin or bones, potato peels, eggshells, stringy vegetables like green beans, or onion peels in the garbage disposal. They’ll clog the disposal.
- Keep all oils, grease, turkey gravy, and fats out of the garbage disposal. These items can easily stick to plumbing pipes and cause clogs.
- Scrap plate leftovers in the trash or compost pile. Not everything should go down the disposal.
- Feed food gradually down the drain to prevent overloading the garbage disposal.
- Wipe off greasy casserole pans and Pyrex dishes before washing them. You may save yourself from a clog or two.
- Don’t operate the dishwasher if you think there may be a problem with the disposal. The garbage disposal can actually discharge debris into the dishwasher.
Remember, take care of any plumbing problems now before holiday guests arrive. Small issues like running toilets or unresolved clogs can turn into bigger problems that can put a damper on holiday festivities.
Your Emergency Plumber During the Holidays
Hopefully, you’ll have a Thanksgiving holiday free from any plumbing issues. But, if you do experience a leak, clog, or other issue, you can rely on your go-to plumber at Cool Blew. With valley-wide emergency services, we’re here to help keep your holidays on track and running smoothly. We’re available 24/7 including holidays and weekends at 623-872-2900. Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family!