Keep your home or business running smoothly with our services and tips and tricks for all your HVAC and Plumbing needs. Subscribe to our blog and stay in the loop on HVAC maintenance and home comfort advice.Subscribe Today for the Latest Tips
Are you ready for monsoon 2018? The damaging storms that come with summer monsoon season in the Valley of the Sun can wreak havoc on your home electrical system. Lightning strikes that hit power lines can send surges of electricity down the wires into your home. Most household appliances running on a 120-volt alternating current can handle surges up to 169 volts. Yet, surges caused by electrical storms can far exceed this. In fact, lightning-caused surges can reach up to several hundred volts.
Throughout the season, which runs from mid-June through mid-September, large storms are nearly guaranteed to cause at least one power outage, either from lightening or a dust storm. And, there is a higher potential for damage to your home’s electrical system, as well as to household electronics.
The following are some tips to help protect your home during a monsoon storm:
- Watch current weather forecasts on TV or the internet.
- If a storm is approaching, turn off and unplug appliances, including your computer, TV and other media equipment. Voltage fluctuations can occur during an electrical storm, causing circuits to overload following an outage.
- Use plug-in surge protectors for cable TV and phone lines.
- Turn of your AC during a storm to prevent damage from a power surge. If there has been an outage, wait several minutes before turning on your system. It only takes one power surge to lead to costly repair bills.
- Turn off other electrical appliances but leave one light on to serve as an indicator for when power is restored.
- Invest in a whole house surge protector to prevent surges in electrical current from reaching your appliances, including your HVAC system.
Summer storms in the greater Phoenix area are amazing to experience. By taking the steps to protect your home against unexpected power surges caused by the storms, you can enjoy the show and avoid costly repairs. Call Cool Blew today to schedule an appointment to discuss your home electrical system.