Homeowners deal with many costs to keep a house cool, the pool running, and the landscaping green. Now that the heat is on, you’ll be spending more on utilities. Here are some best practices to consider when it comes to keeping costs in check.
Keep Air Filters Clean
Replacing your AC system’s HVAC air filter every month will cool your home faster with better air flow.
Lower Your Water Heater Thermostat
Lowering the thermostat on your water heater to 120 degrees or less can save up to 15% per month on utility bills. And with hot weather in the foreseeable future, taking a cooler shower just feels better, too.
Raise Your AC Thermostat
A common misconception is that setting your thermostat at a cooler than normal setting when you turn on the AC cools down your house quicker. In fact, your AC will not cool the house down faster and could even result in excessive cooling. Higher utility bills will be the outcome. By raising the thermostat up to 9 degrees Fahrenheit for 8 hours a day, you can save almost 19% in energy costs. Even raising the thermostat by one degree can save up to 4% on monthly utility costs.
Implement These Other Seemingly Minor Tweaks
Even small adjustments can have a big impact on your utility bill when it comes to energy usage.
- Closing blinds, drapes, and curtains during daytime hours helps keep the heat outside. Your home will feel cooler and more comfortable.
- Check your fireplace damper to make sure it’s closed to prevent cool air from going up the chimney. Turn on ceiling fans to reduce the feels-like indoor temperature by a few degrees.
- Reduce your use of heat generating appliances like dryers, ovens, and stovetops.
- Check to make certain that any electrical, HVAC, or plumbing issues are fixed. Properly maintained appliances and systems run efficiently using less electricity.
- Change out incandescent, halogen, and compact fluorescent light bulbs with LED bulbs. The many benefits include lower electricity bills, a longer bulb life, and an improved quality of light. Smarter LED lights have glowing reviews as they can last 10 years or longer.