It’s that time of the year to think about maintenance for your heating and cooling system. Some homeowners enjoy doing maintenance type tasks themselves. Some routine work you can do yourself. But for most HVAC maintenance, hiring an experienced technician is recommended. Let’s take a look at some minor items that can be done DIY and what tasks should only be done by a professional.
Easy DIY Tasks
Here are some maintenance items requiring a small amount of effort. Anything beyond these tasks should be done only by an HVAC technician with the tools and knowledge to complete without damaging your system.
- Checking and replacing HVAC air filters.
- Adjusting thermostat settings.
- Cleaning the area around your outdoor HVAC unit to remove any debris, branches, and gravel that may be blocking vents.
- Ensuring all the vents are open and not blocked by carpet, furniture, or other home furnishings.
- Doing a visual inspection of exterior HVAC components.
Complex Pro Maintenance Tasks
Recommended twice-yearly maintenance on your HVAC system requires an extensive set of technical skills to complete. The items below are tasks that should be completed in the fall and spring to make sure your system is running efficiently and ready for all weather conditions.
- Cleaning the air regulator.
- Inspecting and cleaning system drain lines.
- Inspecting belts for wear and damage.
- Lubricating moving parts.
- Cleaning drain pans, heat exchanger, flue, and condenser coils.
- Inspecting and testing ductwork for air leaks.
- Checking refrigerant lines for leaks.
- Recharging refrigerant if needed.
- Inspecting HVAC wires for wear.
- Tightening electrical connections.
When To Hire a Professional
Preventative HVAC maintenance is well worth the cost. Servicing ensures that your system continues to keep your home comfortable and safe. Some other benefits include:
- Improving indoor air quality.
- Helping to avoid system outages and breakdowns.
- Decreasing the frequency of necessary HVAC system repairs.
- Extending the lifespan of your system.
Schedule Maintenance Today
Cooler weather will be arriving before you know it. By servicing your equipment in the fall, you’ll be guaranteeing efficiency and ensuring that the heating, ventilation, and air conditioning system is in top shape. You’ll want to hire the right experts to help with detailed inspection, cleaning, and repairs. Call Cool Blew’s top-notch technicians today at 623-872-2900 to schedule an appointment.