One of the best times to be outdoors in the Valley of the Sun is April. Pleasant weather makes for the perfect time of year to take a hike, have a picnic, and open windows to let in springtime sunshine. With desert wildflowers blooming, ragweed, mulberry, ash, and juniper causing pollen levels to be in the very high range, fresh spring air invites unpleasant allergy symptoms. Luckily, there are some preventative measures you can implement to minimize symptoms during allergy season.
- The biggest deterrent to allergens and dust taking over your home is changing out your air filters. The primary function of an air filter is to clean air passing through your house’s cooling and heating system. Homeowners often forget to change out HVAC air filters, which causes a buildup of debris, dust, and allergens, leading to maintenance issues over time and allergy symptoms to rapidly increase.
- Dust vents and registers. These vents circulate all the air from your air conditioning system. If your vents are dusty, your inside air will be dusty. Use a damp cloth to prevent dust mites and other dust particles from being kicked up, potentially causing allergy and breathing issues.
- Use HEPA filters in your vacuum to pick up 99.97% of viruses, dust, allergens, pet dander, and mold.
- Take off your shoes to avoid bringing in allergens from outside.
- Keep home windows and doors closed to limit the amount of pollen and dust indoors.
- Stay indoors on windy days, especially mid-morning to mid-afternoon, when pollen counts are highest.
- Dust window coverings, blinds, and wipe down window sills every other week. Don’t forget to vacuum drapes and curtains to help keep them free of potential allergens.
- Vacuum floors and carpeting at least once a week to rid your home of dust and allergens.
- Wash sheets, pillowcases, comforters, and stuffed animals in hot water to eliminate allergy causing dust mites.
Call Cool Blew
Pollen is in the air and on our minds. Don’t let allergic symptoms stop you from enjoying springtime. Schedule a spring maintenance appointment today. We’ll be happy to service your entire HVAC system, replace your air filters, and ensure your system is healthy. Proper air conditioning maintenance, especially in the spring, removes allergens already in the air, and helps keep new allergens from entering your house. Call your qualified, licensed HVAC professionals at Cool Blew today. We’re available anytime of the day or night at 623-872-2900.