Over 24,100 residential electrical fires happened in 2019, according to U.S. Fire Administration statistics. Warning signs of most electrical hazards can be recognized early before they become major issues. Take a few moments to learn about some of these warning signs.
Do you smell something burning other than food in your kitchen? A burning or smokey odor is a warning signal to immediately pay attention to. It may be an exposed wire, an outlet sparking, or other fire hazard in the kitchen or laundry room. Unplug everything from an outlet if it is the source of the hazard and immediately contact an electrician. If it’s something more extensive, don’t wait; call the fire department.
Erratic Flickering or Dimming Lights
Flickering lights may mean a power surge due to a weather event or an electrical system malfunction. Dimming lights may mean the lights are not receiving enough electricity. Faulty wiring or an appliance on the same circuit, using up the majority of the available power, is the most likely causes of dimming lights. When you cannot accurately diagnose the lighting issues, it’s time to reach out to an electrician.
When there are electrical wiring grounding issues, you’ll receive shocks when touching metal objects. Anything metal connected to your house’s electrical system can result in these shocks. In worst case situations, wiring not properly grounded may result in a fire or severe electrocution.
Check your house’s power strips, surge protectors, appliances, and light fixtures for split, frayed, chewed or smashed wiring. Pulling on cords over time can split wires or fraying may be caused by wires deteriorating. If you notice electrical cords looking like they’ve been chewed, you may have rats or other vermin inside your home. Rats often chew on wires until they’re exposed to trim their teeth. Now you may need both an exterminator and an electrician if the damage is extensive.
Lights can become dangerously hot to the touch when bulbs are too high in wattage. For example, using a 100-watt bulb instead of a 60-watt bulb recommended by the light fixture manufacturer. Improperly installed bulbs can overheat. Even long-lasting energy efficient LED lights can overheat. Halogen light bulbs burn hotter than LED and incandescent bulbs and they can become extremely hot. Incandescent bulbs left on continuously may overheat. Electrical outlets and light switches should never be hot to the touch unless they are dimmer switches.
Be on the lookout for subtle odors or signs of electrical problems. When you see or smell any electrical warning signs, call the professionals. Cool Blew’s team of expert electricians are here to inspect and repair any type of home electrical wiring issues. Call us today at 623-872-2900.