Many homes use hydrocarbons in cooking, powering furnaces, central heating and space heaters among other things. Burning of these fuels produces carbon monoxide, which is very dangerous if it leaks and finds its way into the home. It is hard to notice the presence of this gas because of its odorless and colorless characteristics.
The presence of carbon monoxide in poorly ventilated homes may cause carbon monoxide poisoning, or at worst death. Carbon monoxide poisoning occurs when the gas enters the bloodstream and displaces oxygen.
Therefore, homeowners should learn how to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning.
Tips To Prevent Carbon Monoxide Poisoning In Your Home
- When using hydrocarbons as cooking fuel, make sure the flame burns with a blue color. If the color is orange, carbon monoxide is likely to be present. For this reason, you may want to contact our qualified technicians to inspect the appliance and carry out the necessary repairs.
- Carbon monoxide detectors should be installed at strategic points especially near bedrooms and the living room of your home. These sensors are important as they can alert any person in the house to evacuate before carbon monoxide poisoning gets worse.
- Make sure to check your chimneys, appliances and any vents for rust, blockage, soot, stains or erosion. Also make sure they are thoroughly inspected each year. And when using, check to see that they are properly venting to allow the gas to escape from closed areas.
- Call a certified HVAC tech like us here at Cool Blew Air Inc. to thoroughly inspect, clean out, and perform a tune-up and repair of any leaks on your heating and cooling system.
See more tips to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning
Call Us Now For An HVAC Tune-up And Follow Our Blog For More Resources On Plumbing, Heating, Air Conditioning, Solar And Electrical Services!